Wednesday 26 August 2015

Final re-edit Assignment 5 and printing

I have had an expensive lesson about printing a Blurb book.  I received the book I ordered back this week and hated what I'd done to the images.  I'd lifted the blacks too far so they had lost their atmosphere.  And in addition the font was too big so it looked more suited to a children's book and I didn't like the some of the captions or the introduction.  So I've redone it and hope it will be better when I receive it back.  I do not want to submit something I am not happy with for assessment and would prefer to simply have prints done rather than do a book I think is rubbish.

I am also perturbed about my decision to do colour now but I am sticking with it.  I think the set is more suited to colour and I like some of the rich colours which, as I said in my original accompanying notes, give more life to the images than black and white do.  However, it is much harder to manage colour than it is black & white and I think some of the white balance is not quite as it should be despite my efforts.  I hope the printed book comes back better now the images have been reedited.

4 comments:

  1. I've found Blurb is the best of far of self-publishing websites but …….the final product does seem to vary. I read a comment somewhere along the line that this is because they use printers in different countries and this can affect the final product. Guess the only way is to print it yourself and have a friendly printing company nearby. Haven't found one yet in my area but there might be more choice where you aret. Don't despair though. How does the book look on the Blurb site. Post a link if you feel okay about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine I shall email the pdf to you if that's ok. I've redone it because I hated the images - too light and the words were awful in my first version. I was also playing it safe by not including something I wanted to - which I have done now. hold fire - I will email it over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catherine I shall email the pdf to you if that's ok. I've redone it because I hated the images - too light and the words were awful in my first version. I was also playing it safe by not including something I wanted to - which I have done now. hold fire - I will email it over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Received now and will comment by email.

    ReplyDelete