Friday 20 March 2015

Prints & other things

Just had some prints back from the printers and whilst I am used to editing and then printing family portraits, I seem to have a little to learn about printing other work. I tend to push the darks and blacks too much which works on screen mostly (or does it?) but not on prints at all.  In the past blacks have just been too dense for my liking and if I were to use the images I've just got back, which I'm not planning to now, I would need to redo them for sure as everything looks far too dirty and dull. This is something I've noticed before and must remember for the future.

The other night I went to Sharon Boothroyd's opening of her They All Say Please exhibition which I really enjoyed for several reasons (not least the very positive and encouraging feedback I received from fellow students - thank you!)  One of the most interesting things for me was to hear about how Sharon had printed herself.  As soon as I went in I was struck by how beautiful the colours were.  I have to say I have always been a bit wary of printing myself and had pushed that to the back of my mind.  I recall being quite impressed by some of the prints I saw at the last Thames Valley (TV) meeting which had been done by students themselves rather than a lab but I had dismissed that for me because I didn't really believe I could ever get to grips with it.  But having seen Sharon's prints I am wondering if I should think about printing myself at some point in the future.  Something to chat about with others tomorrow at the next TV meeting.

Finally, I was very pleased when I pointed out a particular image to Sharon that I liked very much and she replied, "Yes, that's very you", which I took to mean the photograph was somehow reminiscent of the work I have submitted.  Yay, there is a recognisable Me - which suggests I have a developing and recognisable, distinctive voice.  A friend also just had a look at some of the work I've submitted and said the images were like mini-plays which pleased me no end.

No comments:

Post a Comment