Thursday 26 March 2015

Narrative A5 thoughts

I've been thinking quite a lot about this (obviously) and the idea of photographing my own family keeps coming back to me.  It seems an obvious progression from where I've come with all the self-reflective work.  I also started the course reading and learning about Sally Mann - she was the first person I wrote about and then Larry Sultan.  In addition I used a lot of photographs from my time in Italy last Easter holidays for A2 exercises, and I used my family in A1 too and so it will complete the circle and that appeals to me. It's simple, relevant and makes sense to me.  I know I need to ensure I show the progression from A1 which was a bit ropey - the idea was there, the execution not so much.

We are heading over to my mother's place in Italy soon and I think I will use this opportunity to play with this idea.  I've got time to ditch it if I'm not happy with the results.

I have also ordered Family Frames: Photography, Narrative and Postmemory to read (bit of gentle holiday reading!)

At the moment I do most of my work on my Fuji x100s.  I like the restriction of the fixed lens and although it's not full frame the IQ is more than good enough (when I get it right!), so I will stick to just using that.  I think it's probably a good thing to do, and this was echoed by Jessie Alexander at the TV meet the other day.

I'm not sure how this fits in yet but here is a blog post from my other blog site about my own family which may or may not be relevant here. I feel like this is a project that has been bubbling away inside of me and A5 may the containment I need to do it.  I also quite like my family - they're pretty bloody great (and annoying and all the rest of it) and I think exploring that side of things will be good to do.

At this moment, today, this morning, this feels like the right thing.  Let's see what AC has to say about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment