Sunday 22 February 2015

A5 - possible research ideas

Having started looking at Behind the Image by Anna Fox and Natasha Caruana I am beginning to think about possible photo projects to research for A5 or just for my own purposes.

One of the things I am already doing is taking quite a lot of photographs of Wandsworth where I live. I have, as discussed in the above book, begun finding images of Wandsworth from history - I spent an evening filled with excitement as I scrolled though hundred of images of my local area from the early 1900s. They were fascinating and even my children loved seeing them.  It's so amazing to see places we visit and exist within from another time.  I'm not sure how seeing these will influence what I'm doing but I suspect not thinking about it too much and just allowing it to sink in and filter out again unconsciously is probably best.

One of the places that interests me a lot in my area is Wandsworth Prison.  I know the children find it fascinating and always ask about the people that are in there - to be honest, I think my own fascination is somewhat childlike.  I remember living next door to someone who spent a fair bit of time in the prison on and off.  He used to beat his wife and we could hear it happening - it was awful. One day an army of police turned up to arrest him and I witnessed him being taken away after quite a dramatic chase as the police went all over the building.  It was a very disturbing sight.  He looked so small and powerless and the sense of his liberty being taken away was incredibly powerful to be so close to.

I don't know how easy or possible it will be to actually go into the prison and that I guess is something I need to find out about.  I can certainly visit the area and the museum attached to it.

Things that interest me in particular with the prison:
Young prisoners
Mental health
Culture
Drugs
Lack of liberty
Social issues relating to prisoners
Wardens
History
Reputation of the prison
Famous prisoners who have stayed there.

I don't know if I'll end up doing anything in relation to the prison yet but am popping these thoughts down to see if it might go somewhere.

Historical images of Wandsworth Prison
Historical images of Wandsworth

No comments:

Post a Comment