Friday 14 November 2014

Taking your time over editing

I just remembered something that Elina Brotherus said and which I forgot to mention in my post about her, so quickly want to write it down before I dash out.  And that is to take your time.  Oh - so many contradictions; here I am rushing as I write about taking your time, my time.

I know taking your time over editing is crucial.  I get so frustrated by the need to get things done within a short space of time for the assignments.  Brotherus  talked about waiting at least 6 months before looking at her work and then she makes small prints which help her to make up her mind about what she will use and what she won't.  I am already thinking about possibilities for both assignment 4 and 5 - I have slightly stalled on the exercises but will pick up again tomorrow when out with the kids - but I am very mindful of time, especially as I have so many other things to fit in too.  It feels like waiting 6 months at least to edit would be an amazing luxury.

I know I basically use Flickr as a scrapbook/dumping ground/note pad type of thing - it's a way to constantly be taking photographs and showing them to someone, anyone!  That's fine.  It keeps me involved but there is a lot of unutterable rubbish up there (mine I mean). I just post whatever happens to have come up - like a stream of consciousness.  All sorts of junk and occasionally something maybe worth keeping but mostly I ma just practising and trying things out.  I'm not trying to create a series of anything, or a comprehensive style or anything with any cohesion.

I have posted a few of the assignment images there but it always feels a bit like I shouldn't be - somehow that I'm not valuing them enough by chucking them into the vast chasm of Flickr and losing them really - even though they're always on my page - but I lose something intrinsic about them.  I want to keep them separate and maybe I should in the future.

Some words for A4 that have been floating about my head -  shame, embarrassment, foolishness, discomfort, dreams - forgetting your words, running, falling.

No comments:

Post a Comment