Friday 21 November 2014

Asylum of the Birds - Roger Ballen



I have quoted Roger Ballen extensively in this post.  The quotes are mostly taken from an interview between Roger Ballen and Manik Katyal for EMAHO magazine.
  
"Most people in photography are just documenting what’s out there, you know—taking a picture of a sunset, take a picture of the Taj Mahal, take a picture of a grandmother. They don’t really use the camera to get deep inside themselves to reveal things about themselves that they really aren’t very aware of in any other way. So I think I’m really quite privileged, in a way, I’m really taking pictures of my interior." Roger Ballan, Taken from an interview with Manik Katyal for Emaho Magazine

Some friends of my parents whom we had not seen in over 30 years told me about Roger Ballen last year.  When I initially looked at the images then I found them quite difficult to relate to although I recognised a grittiness and 'dirtiness' that I liked.  I mention the family friends because they have been on quite a remarkable journey in life.  The couple have embraced something relatively alien to Western culture - a lot less materialistic than we are accustomed to – and by that I don’t just mean a rejection of monetary value but rather an appreciation of existential, unconscious, spiritual, inner landscapes – worlds of imagination, the inexplicable, the magical.  From what I understand the non-material world and how it interacts with the material one is something that Ballen is exploring, which is of course enormously interesting to me.

In her introduction to Asylum of the Birds, Ballen's latest book, Didi Bozzini says, "Ballen's photographic drama combines artifice and reality as the inseparable elements and mirror images of a poetic universe, which is in turn the mental double of the real world".[1]

Ballen's photographs are a combination of reality and fantasy although those elements may be more accurately described as Kleinien phantasy[2]. I think they are very much about what drives us, eats us up, frightens us –things we find difficult to look at in ourselves.[3]  They are black and white images showing people, although less of those in his latest book, place and animals as well as objects.  There are also drawings in the photographs which Ballen says are essential parts of the image.  The work was photographed in a real house, location undisclosed but somewhere in South-Africa, belonging to real people.  Ballen spends a great deal of time adding elements to this genuine location, creating a theatrical set – a mis-en-scene, establishing a new reality.

Ballen has stated, “Black and White is essentially an abstract way to interpret and transform what one might refer to as reality. My purpose in taking photographs over the past forty years has ultimately been about defining myself. It has been fundamentally a psychological and existential journey.” [4] 

The second two sentences in the above resonate with me in relation to much of what I am learning about photography – photography is a means of exploring who you are, how you fit and how you make sense of what it is to be human – how you relate to the world.  By expressing and sharing your internal world in this way others may recognise something of it and make sense of their own place.  Ballen’s statement which I have quoted at the beginning of this post, saying that taking pictures of his interior is a privileged thing to be doing helps me to further understand what I am aiming for.  Although, I see that he uses others and objects rather than himself to explore that interior landscape.

The title of the book Asylum of the Birds was conceived early in his process, which Ballen says took 5 years.  The word asylum is an interesting one in that it means a place of refuge and a place where mad people are sent.[5]   If you place any truth in RD Laings[6] assertion that people experiencing mental illness are justifiably reacting to the way our society operates, then finding safety in madness makes perfect sense.  (As someone who suffered from extreme and debilitating anxiety in the past I can certainly testify to the fact that my own retreat to that place was about avoiding certain truths in the world – it was about denial of reality.)

This exploration of our society and also individual madness is something that preoccupies Ballen:

“He has spent most of his life documenting the social, economic and cultural impoverishments faced by his subjects, in a bold and experimental manner, taking us into the dark recesses of their minds, and in turn revealing to us our own dark sides.”[7]

Ballen seems to be looking intently at the darker sides of human consciousness and I see an apparent distrust for Western over-appreciation of all that is material, an exploration into how our society deprives us of something inherently healthy.  He discusses how our lack of connection to fantasy prevents in us something fundamentally human.

“The satisfaction of their condition is really repressed, it’s not part of the puzzle, the culture is very rational, scientific, and not very emotional, I guess emotional is a bit. Not very. The people are told very early, from childhood, not to believe in these things, that they’re just fantasy and they shouldn’t pay any attention to it. So people grow up trying to not be in contact with any other condition, and also not trying to seek it out. Whereas in a culture like India it’s absolutely prominent…”[8] 

I am reminded by Ballen, by his work, of a director I mentioned in this blog before, Robert Lepage, who tries to work in an intuitive, responsive, deeply creative way.  This is about making a space within which to work and allowing ideas to grow and form out of the process rather than starting with an imposed and structured idea.  It can be a slow process and takes time, patience and commitment.  Ballen says, “Well, it’s never— it’s never— I don’t really— when I take pictures, I don’t really have any ideas. I don’t really think, ‘what am I going to do? what am I going to take?, you know, I just do the work. And so it’s a process that takes time, and takes evolution and, you know, builds on itself basically. So it’s a great producer, it gives you other things. So it’s very much a dynamic process, rather than one that is dominated by what I want to do from the very beginning. It evolves at its own speed, in it’s own right and it’s own way and I can’t I have no way of predicting where the picture, where the product, will end up.”[9] 

The reason for working this way is you find the unexpected.  It’s an exciting way to go about things and one that requires enormous trust and confidence.  But of course deeply rewarding when you find something of what you’d been searching for.  Ballen says, “I mean, that’s the thing, you know—the untouchable, the invisible. I mean once you try—at least, what I’m trying to do, is trying to make the invisible visible. Well, it’s mysterious to me, trying to make them a little more concrete, a little bit more evident. So, yeah, photography helps me explain parts of my psyche, parts of my experience, helps me concretize these in some way. So, you know, it’s all sorts of parts of myself there. And that I wasn’t really aware of and you’ve woken up parts of yourself that you weren’t even aware of. It’s a very gratifying experience.”

Looking through Ballen’s Asylum of the Birds is disturbing – where are these people from, who are they, what are all these birds about?  There is a celebration of death, of the darker side of our psyche, of nightmares, of fear.  Not in a gratuitous way – I don’t mean Ballen is trying to scare us; he’s simply sharing those aspects of ourselves which we have become unaccustomed to looking at in our post modern society.  He owes much to the Surrealists but also to something more tribal, ancient and primeval.

It has been interesting to look at Ballen’s work more closely and understand what is driving him.  He is more than a photographer, incorporating drawing, installation, mis-en-scene, combining reality with ‘phantasy’[10] and an enormous dose of himself.  For me this is extremely interesting; how far can I combine my theatre background with photography.  I have used my self in the previous two assignments and will undoubtedly continue with that as I define and redefine who I am.  It is good to look at Ballen’s concepts as it continues to broaden my understanding of what is possible, of what artists do, how they choose to work, how they choose to share who they are with the world.

I have over time and especially lately really begun to understand how personal photography can be; how it is a fundamental expression of the photographer or artist - what they choose to shoot, how they choose to shoot it, how they choose to show it, what order, what context – all of these things are capable of being an exceptionally powerful expression of who is making those pictures.  I think Ballen is a good example of a tremendously personal and generous artist who is literally showing us his inner world.  What a wonderful thing to be able to do.

Information taken from:
Asylum of the Birds by Roger Ballen






[1] Asylum of the Birds, Roger Ballen, Thames and Hudson, 2014

[2] In Kleinian theory unconscious phantasies underlie every mental process and accompany all mental activity. They are the mental representation of those somatic events in the body that comprise the instincts, and are physical sensations interpreted as relationships with objects that cause those sensations. Phantasy is the mental expression of both libidinal and aggressive impulses and also of defence mechanisms against those impulses. Much of the therapeutic activity of psychoanalysis can be described as an attempt to convert unconscious phantasy into conscious thought.
Freud introduced the concept of unconscious phantasy and phantasising, which he thought of as a phylogenetically inherited capacity of the human mind. Klein adopted his idea of unconscious phantasy but broadened it considerably because her work with children gave her extensive experience of the wide-ranging content of children's phantasies. She and her successors have emphasised that phantasies interact reciprocally with experience to form the developing intellectual and emotional characteristics of the individual; phantasies are considered to be a basic capacity underlying and shaping thought, dream, symptoms and patterns of defence.  (Taken from http://www.Melanie.Klein.org.uk/theory)

[4] The Photobook – Douglas Stockdale’s blog
[5] Emaho Magazine interview
[6] RD Laing – influential psychiatrist in the 60s who famously stated that madness was a justifiable response the society in which we live.
[7] Emaho Magazine interview
[8] Emaho Magazine interview
[9] Emaho Magazine interview

[10] See footnote 2
He has spent most of his life documenting the social, economic and cultural impoverishments faced by his subjects, in a bold and experimental manner, taking us into the dark recesses of their minds, and in turn revealing to us our own dark sides. - See more at: http://www.emahomagazine.com/2014/10/roger-ballen-maybe-i-can-speak-goat-and-i-can-speak-a-little-chicken/#sthash.Vyi17cqq.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment