Sunday 9 November 2014

Angela Bacon-Kidwell

I feel so fortunate to have people all around me pointing me in the direction of work that I find interesting and compelling.  Yesterday Angela Bacon-Kidwell was suggested; she is an American photographer/artist who is interested in the unconscious and dreams and connecting to those aspects of ourselves.  This focus of hers is related to the themes and subjects in the work I discussed by Chris Friel which I love so much, but Kidwell-Bacon is finding different ways to express those themes, perhaps they are more tangible than Friel's work, by which please don't think I don't mean better or worse.  But perhaps less visceral and prehistoric, slightly easier to place.  Maybe.

"My photography comes from a lifelong obsession of exploring how my subconscious generates my dreams. As I move through my day, I am keenly aware of my encounters with people, places and things. I mentally record the details of these situations, and the physical or emotional responses that they evoke. These fleeting associations replay themselves in my dreams. The random moments combine to form sleep stories that are rich narratives, ripe with symbolism. With that as my model, I construct sets, use props and invite myself and models to perform in a natural, intuitive way. In essence, I attempt to create a waking dream." (1)

Some of her work has many layers and I found myself wondering how she did it.  On her website in relation to a particular set of images she describes her process:

"Numerous layers of hand painted photographs, drawings and resin make up a single image. The final results are a complex layering process and not complete digital manipulations. The image is printed and re-photographed under various conditions in one final effort to heal the tender wounds that bind my own existence."

I think there are a number of images on her website that are worth thinking about in relation to assignment 4.

Quotes taken directly from her website and I have linked to the Travelling Dreams portfolio where the images I am most interested in for this assignment are.



No comments:

Post a Comment