Thursday 22 May 2014

Gallery visit: Matisse The Cut-Outs 14th May 2014, Tate Modern



I went along to see the Cut-Outs exhibition last week as I’d found myself watching a documentary about the exhibition a few months ago and was completely drawn into it which surprised me.  Matisse was one of those names that existed in my mind as someone who was terribly important in the world of art, but about whom I knew next to nothing.    I have to admit that if anyone had asked me about him I might have put him in with the impressionists rather than a Modernist.  I really have known very little!

I am learning a great deal about art the moment and I don’t think there is enough time in the day to take it all in (given that I nearly fell asleep this evening doing bedtime for my youngest child, it must be true that there really aren’t enough hours!)  Matisse in particular is a huge subject just by himself and I am currently reading a book about him, but since I should try to keep up with these entries and am behind a little, I will give a very brief account of his life before discussing my response to the exhibition.

Matisse was born in 1869 and died in 1954.  His life covers an incredibly active and extraordinary time from our history.  He was born at what seems to be the beginning of modern life, before all the inventions that propelled human existence into something quite unlike anything that has gone before; cars, planes, trains, industrialization and modernism[1].  The changes when looked back at from the present seemed to have happened so speedily and I have often wondered what it must have been like for people to live through all these changes, not to mention the extreme violence and political upheaval, two world wars, revolutions, nation and empire building as well as the dismantling that occurred.

Matisse’s work “Open Window was exhibited at the landmark Salon d'automne of 1905, where Matisse and other fauve painters were greeted with critical skepticism and public disdain. The "fauve" (savage beast) label itself originated in the art critic Louis Vauxcelles' newspaper review of the exhibition.”[2]  Matisse’s work seemed to blatantly defy tradition and culturally excepted norms in art, and was instead shockingly primitive in form with huge brush strokes and broad colours.  However be became on the of the grand names of Modernism and produced an enormous body of work continuing to paint, draw and sculpt throughout all the social upheaval that happened during the first half of last century. 

Thirteen years before the end of Matisse’s life he nearly died but survived although in great pain, often consigned to a wheel chair and as he described ‘mutilated’[3].  During this time and despite his ongoing health problems Matisse invented a new way of working.  He no longer painted but instead began to cut out coloured shapes with a huge pair of tailor’s scissors.  With the help of assistants he pinned these shapes to the walls around him and created art that was vibrant, significantly more primitive than his earlier work and also difficult for contemporaries to accept.  In fact there were those that thought he’d gone quite mad, cutting bits of paper out.  He understood that the world would not appreciate and understand this work until much later: ‘the creators of a new language are always 50 years ahead of their time’[4].  The new language he created went on to be used in models for stained glass windows, theatre and book designs and an entire church including liturgical vestments.

I am not surprised that people found the work difficult to understand.  It is not easy work in my mind and the departure from any notions of ‘classical’ painting must have made it hard to comprehend as ‘art’ when you consider the context in which it was first produced.  Nowadays we are used to seeing beds with sheets crumpled up and stuffed sharks and dots and blurry photographs described as art, so we are probably less hindered by the classical conditioning people may have been in the 40s and 50s.  However, even so, I did not respond to the exhibition as I did others I have recently been to.  

I can appreciate the primitive colours and patterns, the playfulness and intensity, the bravery of how broad, bold and ambitious the cut-outs are, to a sense of creativity that is utterly without classical conditioning, that says, ‘here, I am’ so stridently.  I see that the patterns he created are extraordinarily rhythmical and alive, containing a sense of explosiveness, which is wonderful to be surrounded by.  But the art is so very primal that I actually find it quite difficult to access.  Maybe I am 50 years behind my time!

I am, however, immensely grateful to the universe for a bizarre co-incidence, where I have attended several consecutive visits to exhibitions that concentrate on cutting and pasting, or pinning in Matisse’s case, as it has demonstrated to me that these artists, Hoch, Matisse, William S Burroughs and most recently Richard Hamilton were, in much of their work, having fun.  I do not mean the work was not serious for I truly believe it was, and that with the work came pain and distress and difficulty.  Nevertheless the artists I have looked at this year have repeatedly shown me that artistic activity can be made with whatever medium you choose, provided you commit, are dedicated to it, to fulfilling the expressiveness of what you’re exploring.  Does any of that make sense?  I’m just beginning to see the possibilities and perhaps am still forming the words to explain what I am becoming aware of.

I should also say that my companion at the Matisse exhibit, my 2-year-old son, evidently had a much more visceral, uncomplicated response to the cut-outs than me.  He told me towards the end that he was scared, the paintings were scary and that he wanted to go home.  This surprised me but they are really big and bright and intense and so I can begin to see what he was saying.  It’s helpful having an unadulterated, unconditioned, uncomplicated small person with you sometimes.

Some links:








[1] http://www.henri-matisse.net/artofmatisse.html
[2] http://www.henri-matisse.net/artofmatisse.html

[3] Page 5, Henri Matisse, A Second Life, Alastair Sooke, Penguin, 2014
[4] Page 8 Henri Matisse, A Second Life, Alastair Sooke, Penguin, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment