Sunday 20 April 2014

Horizontal & Vertical Lines

Produce 4 examples of the horizontal and 4 vertical lines and as far as you can avoid repeating the way in which the line appears:


Driving seat: Although placing things in the very middle sometimes doesn't work I have tried it with this one; using the pillar which cuts he photo in half.  In one half there is a driving seat and in the other a bench.  The reality behind the pillar is connected despite the forced separation at the forefront of the image.  The driving seat is empty. The verticals in the background echo the vertical of the pillar and although they are ostensibly made by the stands, the different coloured lighting enhances the vertical pattern. ISO 125 10mm f2.8 1/60

Storeroom: The main vertical lines are the window frame by those lines are echoes by the reflections in the background on the glass bottles.  I like the contrast between the light and dark.  Again there are two separate halves in this image.  ISO 1000 48mm f5.6 1/500

Trout farm: This photo annoys me.  I wish I had had the foresight to make more of the vertical line of water on the right that is hardly there at all.  I'm not sure if you anyone can see this is a tiny mini waterfall or if it is too abstract.  To be honest it is simply an image that aims to fulfill the exercise and I'm not sure I can talk about what I aimed to communicate here.  However, I am pretty big on unconscious communication and motivation so I am sure there will be something about swimming upstream here and again there are two halves, one with a curvy female shape inside and the other with froth at the bottom.   I have chosen monotone to highlight the vertical nature. ISO 125 48mm f22 1/15
The right side of the bars: I noticed this grille as we wandered round an Italian hilltop town and before I could snap it my son was in front of the camera which is unlike him - normally avoiding it or pulling funny faces and making rude signs so I was pleased with this.  I was also pleased he chose a stance that mirrored the horizontal bars making it a contender for this exercise.  I like the contrast between the old and young, historical and modern and light and dark.  It is difficult for me to discuss what this communicates here but I will say that I think this a very honest and true portrait of him. 400 ISO 28mm f5.6 1/100
Electricity: As is often the case when there is a large space of single colour there is a bit of digital noise after uploading here which is a shame.   The man made lines try to compete with nature.  This a reminder of how transient our species is.  Long after the lines here have stopped bringing electricity to houses making light inside possible the moon will still be shining.  We're hopeful, deluded and insignificant in the long run. 160 ISO 55mm f3.2 1/50
Italian sky: This a different view of a building creating a horizontal shape.  The photo to me is mostly about shapes. The horizontal line created by the roof and sky meeting is a strong one - made by a strong contrast.   100 ISO 21mm f8 1/250
Ducks in a row: I like this one but am unsure if it meets the criteria.  The horizontal lines are made by the landscape - trees, stream, ducks, bricks and paving.  There are dark bands and light bands and the dark duck stands in the light paving while the light ducks are slightly behind against the darker river.  I'm not sure it communicates that much although the title I have given it is quite positive in relation to my personal life.  I feel from that sense it is a strong image - one with purpose like the ducks.  And it is also a little fun.  250 ISO 55mm f5.6 1/320

This vertical one seemed to insist on being at the end of the page so forgive it for seeming out of place - Poles: The vertical poles are probably a repeat of the first image although the photograph is quite different.  I should have found a photo of the kids creating a vertical image but there are some of those for later in other shapes.  But I really liked this one.  They are the male and female of the street lamp world.  All the electricity boxes, one hanging precariously (not great for an electricity box) seem to be connected and related to the poles and each-other.  I chose black and white again to emphasise the vertical nature. ISO 250 23mm f5.6 1/640.



         




No comments:

Post a Comment