Friday 25 April 2014

Curves

Take 4 photographs using curves to emphasise movement and direction.

Children: The curves of the arches which are much bigger than the children are very pretty - the whole building is beautiful.  I have actually cropped this image far more than I usually do in order to emphasise the arches, but that has made a rejected picture much more viable. There is a timelessness and grandness to the old building compared to the children who seem so very small.  I also like their different postures.  200 ISO 55mm f8 1/1000

Roof: I liked the bumpy curves of the roof and the tiny plants growing in it.  I was actually thinking about diagonals when I took it because of the perspective lines but in the end have included it in curves because I think the regular bumps are more prominent.  I can't say that I was doing anything other than trying to fulfill exercises.  If I said anymore I would be shoehorning meaning into an image that was about shapes and lines to me. 160 ISO 28mm f2.8 1/1250

Curvy: This is a close up picture of a strange object that I think may have been used to inflate something at one time (wider image of the whole object here).  I thought it was a vacuum cleaner to begin with but I don't think that is right.  It has been discarded behind an enormous climbing center that exists in a pretty rustic and medieval Italian village which was quite controversial when initially built as it is totally out of place, ruins the picture postcard image of the village and is surrounded by mountains that can be and are frequently climbed. The climbing frame doesn't seem to be utilised very often.  Mostly it has become a giant store area for objects used in the village's annual Festa where visitors get to see the entire history of mankind acted out over the course of two or three hours in a promenade style theatrical event.  It's lots of fun and full of spectacle.  Props and scenery are stored, many open to the elements here, and this object seemed like it had been dumped, a discarded dead alien. 250 ISO 50mm f2.8 1/1250

Steps: The curves of the steps going off into the horizon could have been used in the horizontal exercise too. 500 ISO 23mm f5.6mm 1/200
The Emerald Forest: I did not intend to add this last one, but as it is very different to what I usually do - here it is.  I have been interested in repeated patterns in nature for a long time - they are known as fractal patterns and I find examples of such patterns fascinating and beautiful.  I didn't like the original green of this cauliflower so changed it to make it obviously unreal which is not something I do often but I didn't like it in black and white either so made it emerald.    However, I can't help wondering about my unconscious choices - why emerald?  I do think such patterns are reflected in much of our existence, throughout our lives as individuals and as groups. I chose square format because I wanted as much of the vegetable without any gaps included but the regularity of having equal sides suits the regularity of the patterns.  250 ISO 48mm f2.8 1/320

No comments:

Post a Comment